DELUX TICKET , 3 days, 250 USD, Mongolia LET'S PLAN YOUR TRIP
ALTAI KAZAKH EAGLE FESTIVAL -2018,
1. March, 21-22
2. September, 15-16
3. October, 6-7
Festival Programme for Deluxe ticket holders
Festival Location: ask each festival place
Deluxe ticket cost – 250$ per person,
The price includes:
- Festival Tax, Pre-festival dinner for Deluxe ticket holders and then entertainment show,
- 4x4 trasnfers from/to festival place, 3 meals per day, staying in Deluxe Ger( 2 beds), shared hot shower and toilet
It does not include :
- Laundry, personal needs, and alcohol drinks.
Day before festival
|6:00||Pre-festival dinner for Deluxe ticket holders|
|8:00||Entertainment at Ger Camp|
|10:00||Opening ceremony, introductions, Eagle Hunting history and practice.|
|10:30||Parade of all participants.|
|11:00-13:00||Fox Skin (The real test of a hunter's ability, Eagles must catch a fox skin dragged behind their trainer's horse.)|
|13:00-14:00||Break for lunch|
|14:00-16:00||Fox Skin (The real test of a hunter's ability, Eagles must catch a fox skin dragged behind their trainer's horse.)|
|14:00-16:00||Archery (Same time will be started Western Mongolian Archery Competition. Archery people will shoot from bow to balls and goat skins on horse back.)|
|16:00-17:00||Kyz Kuar (A race between a man and woman on horseback)|
|17:00-18:00||Bushkashi - Tug of war played on horseback with killed goat, common throughout Central Asia|
|18:00-18:30||Tiyn Teru - Riders compete to pick up flags or flowers from the ground during the race|
|19:00||Break for dinner|
FESTIVAL DAY 2
|10:00-13:00||Eagle Call (Tests hunter's ability to 'call' Eagle to their horse from a distance)|
|13:00-14:00||Break for lunch|
|14:00-15:00||Camel Race 6kms (It is one most funny and interesting game.Camel riders can be women and men.)|
|15:00-16:00||Tiyn Teru - Riders compete to pick up flags or flowers from the ground during the Race|
|16:00-17:00||Bushkashi - Tug of war played on horseback with killed goat, common throughout Central Asia|
|17:00-17:30||Kyz Kuar (A race between a man and woman on horseback)|
|17:30-18:00||Awards and Closing ceremony|
*Extended program will be available at Festival
Involving the community in the Festival
- Blue Wolf is a partner with local Peace Corps volunteers on a Wheat Fund grant to establish and train a handicraft cooperative for countryside men and women
- Blue Wolf also supports the work of the Altai Mountain Crafts cooperative whose handicrafts will be available to guests during the festival
- We hire local English teachers to assist with translation during the Altai Kazakh Eagle Festival
- All supplies for the festival were purchased through local retailers
- Over 40 Eagle Hunters will participate in the festival – your interest and participation help ensure this practice will remain a part of Altai Kazakh Culture
Notes on safety
Following are few tips tp keep in mind to ensure safety of your own and travel companions,while paticipating in this extraordinary festival.Eagles are not pets and we ask you take extra precaution when getting in close contact with the eagles.
- When you are in the competition field,please make sure to stand only in the designated public viewing areas,
- It' better not to wear any clothing that has an animal fur such as hat or sleeves and any loose or bright colored clothing as they might attract eagles,
- During the competition when eagles are released from the mountian,avoid running in the same field as it might distract the birds,
- If you have children,please do not let them wander on their own,
- While the competition is on,leaving designated areas to get a closer photo shoot of the eagles is not recommended
- If you can not locate your group or get separated,please return to the parking place,where your vans are located.
Altai Kazakh (Mongolian) Eagle Hunting History (over 2000 years old)
Before put here many legends about Altai Kazakh Eaglehunting history, let me to give some informations about Golden Eagle and Altai Kazakh Hunting Skills.
Golden Eagle is a bird of eagles family, predatory class, In Kazakhstan lives everywhere, except - woodless deserts and steppes; in the south of Kazzakhstan – settled, in the North - partially migratory. Size - up to 95 sm, wing-span - up to 220 sm, weight 4 - 6 kg. Plumage is of the same kind, dark – brown, nape and neck - goldish-red, young individuals have white, with a wide black strip on the end, tail, lower part of a wing - with large white spots. A down nestling - only white. Gplden Eagle settles in couples, making huge (up to 2 мin a diameter) nests in niches and on ledges of rocky breakages, on trees. In March- April hen lays 1 - 3 eggs (hen sits on eggs about 45 days) . The nestlings leaves nests in 2,5 months of old, but parents are guardians along time. Golden Eagle lives about 100 years in natural conditions. Eats: in mountains – marmots, kekliks, ulars, reven and gophers; in deserts – sandpiper, rabbits, partridges, hazel grouses, turtles, snakes and etc. Occasionally attacks the foxes and badgers.
The Kazakh names of Golden Eagle. Long since Golden Eagle is used as hunting bird. The hunting with Golden Eagle is specific , at the present time, is supported by the experts – hunters (berkutchi). A hunting with Golden eagle requires special knowledge and patience. The hunters - berkutchi names Golden Eagle depending on age: till 1 year - balapan, 2-year's - kantubit, 3-year's - tyrnekl, 4-year's - tastulek, 5-year's – muzbalak, 6-year's - koktubit, 7-year's - kana, 8-year's - zhana, 9-year's - maytubit, 10-year's - barkyn, 11-year's - barshyn, 12-year's - shogel. Golden Eagle is a very rare bird and booked in the Red book of Kazakhstan and USSR.
Hunting with Golden Eagle is one of the most unique features of the Kazakh life. The hunter is named kusbegi or berkutchi. The experience of wild birds training was gained by Kazakh kusbegi by centuries, the secrets were impacted from the father to the son and kept deep secret. At the present time we can meet few people with such name. These masters have innate gift of wild birds training. For a hunting they tame falcons, golden eagles and eagles. Names of birds are given depending on their appearance and battle characteristics. The hunting with Golden Eagle are during ten centuries. Was considered, to present the teenager a nestling of hunting bird, means, to wish to him to begin courageous, strong dzhigit. To train golden eagle – it is the high art. The caught bird gradually accustom to the owner. For it berkutchi some nights doesn't close eyes and interdicts to sleep golden eagle. The bird can take feed (bits of uncooked meat) only from hands of the owner. After bird will get used to the hunter- berkutchi, his horse and dog, berkutchi begins to train to hunt for stuffed fox and only then the real hunting begins. Specially trained golden eagler hunts for small animals: rabbits, foxes, partridge, black hazel grouses.
Equipment for a hunting with hunting birds. For a hunting with hunting birds specially prepare equipment: a coverlet, cap, couch and leash. Bardak - special wooden prop for a hand - try without it to bring on the stretched out hand a bird of weight 6-7 kg! Shyrga – skin of hare or fox is filled with straw. This is manual for a bird. The hunter drags along shyrga with long rope along steppe and teachs golden eagle to attack prey. Kusbegi must have inexhaustible patience and persistence.
There are many legends about Altai Kazakh Eaglehunting.As far,we keep in touch with Altai Kazakh Eaglehunters every day and live together,decided to publish a legends,articles and Eaglehunter's talkings.
I think Kazakh Eaglehunting has over 2000 years history.When i was child (around 1950yrs) famous local Eaglehunters Sepdolda and Juldyzbai took me as scare-boy for fox and rabbit.During hunting they made really often breaks and Eaglehunters talked to each other about Eaglehunting history.
-Old time Kazakhs called eagle as Shegirbayan.One Kazakh eaglehunter after long day hunting came to Kazakh nomadic family to spend overnight.As Kazakhs are grade hospitality people,host killed one of his 6-7 goats to feed his guest.This family didn't have child.When host saw how eagle is cold,hungry and tired asked his wife to make fire for all night,so eagle can stay warm.Gave to eagle some meat.Next morning hunter left a family with his magnificient bird after good rest and said many thank to host,because they fed-up his bird also. Eagle was ready for next hunting.
After this visit, wife gave a birth to boy.And host thought,that god gave this boy,because his family fed up the eagle.from this moment,Altai Kazakhs call the eagle like "Birkut",which means fed-up in Englsih.
- NAURYZ EAGLE FESTIVAL and SNOW LEOPARD EXPLORE-2018, 10 DAYS, FROM 1740 USD, MONGOLIA
- EAGLE FESTIVAL ADVENTURE, 2018 /fixed dates/, 15 DAYS, 2815$, MONGOLIA
- GOLDEN EAGLE FESTIVAL and HIKE BESIDE GLACIER, 12 DAYS, FROM 2000$, 2018
- SNOW LEOPARD EXPLORE AND HUNTING WITH EAGLE , 12 DAYS, FROM 1905$,
- REINDEER HERDERS AND EAGLE FESTIVAL, 2018, 19 DAYS, FROM 3040$
- GOLDEN EAGLE FESTIVAL, ALTAI EXPLORE and EAGLE HUNTING, 12 DAYS, FROM 1860$, 2018
- ALTAI TREK and ALTAI EAGLE FESTIVAL- 2018, 19 days, from 2800$, fixed date
- EAGLE FESTIVAL PROGRAMME (rough), 2018
- STANDART TICKET , 3 days, 180 USD, Mongolia
- DELUX TICKET , 3 days, 250 USD, Mongolia
- JOLT TREK and EAGLE FESTIVAL-2018 /fixed dates/, 18 days, price from 2740$, MONGOLIA
- GO to FESTIVAL with EAGLE HUNTERS and ALTAI EXPLORE-2018, 10 days, from 1610 USD, Mongolia
- CLASSIC EAGLE HUNTING AND EXPLORE ALATAU MOUNTAINS, 7 DAY, FROM 1025$, KAZAKHSTAN
- EAGLE HUNTING IN KYRGYZSTAN, 8 DAYS, FROM 1485$, KYRGYZSTAN