MONGOLIA-SPRING EAGLE FESTIVAL , March, 21-22, 2018 LET'S PLAN YOUR TRIP
Spring Eagle Festival-2018
(Small Eagle Festivals as Lonely Planet called)
|10:00||Opening ceremony, introductions, Eagle Hunting history and practice.|
|10:30||Parade of all participants.|
|11:00-13:00||Fox Skin (The real test of a hunter's ability, Eagles must catch a fox skin dragged behind their trainer's horse.)|
|13:00-14:00||Break for lunch|
|14:00-16:00||Fox Skin (The real test of a hunter's ability, Eagles must catch a fox skin dragged behind their trainer's horse.)|
|14:00-16:00||Archery (Same time will be started Western Mongolian Archery Competition. Archery people will shoot from bow to balls and goat skins on horse back.)|
|16:00-17:00||Kyz Kuar (A race between a man and woman on horseback)|
|17:00-18:00||Bushkashi - Tug of war played on horseback with killed goat, common throughout Central Asia|
|18:00-18:30||Tiyn Teru - Riders compete to pick up flags or flowers from the ground during the race|
|19:00||Break for dinner|
FESTIVAL DAY 2 / March, 22
|10:00-13:00||Eagle Call (Tests hunter's ability to 'call' Eagle to their horse from a distance)|
|13:00-14:00||Break for lunch|
|14:00-15:00||Camel Race 6kms (It is one most funny and interesting game.Camel riders can be women and men.)|
|15:00-16:00||Tiyn Teru - Riders compete to pick up flags or flowers from the ground during the Race|
|16:00-17:00||Bushkashi - Tug of war played on horseback with killed goat, common throughout Central Asia|
|17:00-17:30||Kyz Kuar (A race between a man and woman on horseback)|
|17:30-18:00||Awards and Closing ceremony|
*Extended program will be available at Festival
Involving the community in the Festival
- Blue Wolf is a partner with local Peace Corps volunteers on a Wheat Fund grant to establish and train a handicraft cooperative for countryside men and women
- Blue Wolf also supports the work of the Altai Kazakh Nomadic People, whose handicrafts will be available to guests during the festival
- We hire local English teachers to assist with translation during the Altai Kazakh Eagle Festival
- All supplies for the festival were purchased through local retailers
- Over 40 Eagle Hunters will participate in the festival – your interest and participation help ensure this practice will remain a part of Altai Kazakh Culture
Notes on safety
Following are few tips to keep in mind to ensure safety of your own and travel companions,while participating in this extraordinary festival.Eagles are not pets and we ask you take extra precaution when getting in close contact with the eagles.
- When you are in the competition field,please make sure to stand only in the designated public viewing areas,
- It' better not to wear any clothing that has an animal fur such as hat or sleeves and any loose or bright colored clothing as they might attract eagles,
- During the competition when eagles are released from the mountian,avoid running in the same field as it might distract the birds,
- If you have children,please do not let them wander on their own,
- While the competition is on,leaving designated areas to get a closer photo shoot of the eagles is not recommended
- If you can not locate your group or get separated,please return to the parking place,where your vans are located.
Mongolians in Altai (Kazakhs) Eagle Hunting History (over 2000 years old)
Before put here many legends about Altai Kazakh Eagle hunting history, let me to give some information about Golden Eagle and Altai Kazakh Hunting Skills.
Golden Eagle is a bird of eagles family, predatory class, In Kazakhstan lives everywhere, except - wood less deserts and steppes; in the south of Kazakhstan – settled, in the North - partially migratory. Size - up to 95 sm, wing-span - up to 220 sm, weight 4 - 6 kg. Plumage is of the same kind, dark – brown, nape and neck - goldish-red, young individuals have white, with a wide black strip on the end, tail, lower part of a wing - with large white spots. A down nestling - only white. Gplden Eagle settles in couples, making huge (up to 2 мin a diameter) nests in niches and on ledges of rocky breakages, on trees. In March- April hen lays 1 - 3 eggs (hen sits on eggs about 45 days) . The nestlings leaves nests in 2,5 months of old, but parents are guardians along time. Golden Eagle lives about 100 years in natural conditions. Eats: in mountains – marmots, kekliks, ulars, reven and gophers; in deserts – sandpiper, rabbits, partridges, hazel grouses, turtles, snakes and etc. Occasionally attacks the foxes and badgers.
The Kazakh names of Golden Eagle. Long since Golden Eagle is used as hunting bird. The hunting with Golden Eagle is specific , at the present time, is supported by the experts – hunters (berkutchi). A hunting with Golden eagle requires special knowledge and patience. The hunters - berkutchi names Golden Eagle depending on age: till 1 year - balapan, 2-year's - kantubit, 3-year's - tyrnekl, 4-year's - tastulek, 5-year's – muzbalak, 6-year's - koktubit, 7-year's - kana, 8-year's - zhana, 9-year's - maytubit, 10-year's - barkyn, 11-year's - barshyn, 12-year's - shogel. Golden Eagle is a very rare bird and booked in the Red book of Kazakhstan and USSR.
Hunting with Golden Eagle is one of the most unique features of the Kazakh life. The hunter is named kusbegi or berkutchi. The experience of wild birds training was gained by Kazakh kusbegi by centuries, the secrets were impacted from the father to the son and kept deep secret. At the present time we can meet few people with such name. These masters have innate gift of wild birds training. For a hunting they tame falcons, golden eagles and eagles. Names of birds are given depending on their appearance and battle characteristics. The hunting with Golden Eagle are during ten centuries. Was considered, to present the teenager a nestling of hunting bird, means, to wish to him to begin courageous, strong dzhigit. To train golden eagle – it is the high art. The caught bird gradually accustom to the owner. For it berkutchi some nights doesn't close eyes and interdicts to sleep golden eagle. The bird can take feed (bits of uncooked meat) only from hands of the owner. After bird will get used to the hunter- berkutchi, his horse and dog, berkutchi begins to train to hunt for stuffed fox and only then the real hunting begins. Specially trained golden eagle hunts for small animals: rabbits, foxes, partridge, black hazel grouses.
Equipment for a hunting with hunting birds. For a hunting with hunting birds specially prepare equipment: a coverlet, cap, couch and leash. Bardak - special wooden prop for a hand - try without it to bring on the stretched out hand a bird of weight 6-7 kg! Shyrga – skin of hare or fox is filled with straw. This is manual for a bird. The hunter drags along shyrga with long rope along steppe and teachs golden eagle to attack prey. Kusbegi must have inexhaustible patience and persistence.
There are many legends about Altai Kazakh Eagle hunting.As far,we keep in touch with Altai Kazakh Eagle hunters every day and live together, decided to publish a legends,articles and Eagle hunter's talking.
I think Kazakh Eagle hunting has over 2000 years history.When i was child (around 1950 yrs) famous local Eagle hunters Sepdolda and Juldyzbai took me as scare-boy for fox and rabbit.During hunting they made really often breaks and Eagle hunters talked to each other about Eagle hunting history.
-Old time Kazakhs called eagle as Shegirbayan.One Kazakh eagle hunter after long day hunting came to Kazakh nomadic family to spend overnight.As Kazakhs are grade hospitality people,host killed one of his 6-7 goats to feed his guest.This family didn't have child.When host saw how eagle is cold,hungry and tired asked his wife to make fire for all night,so eagle can stay warm.Gave to eagle some meat.Next morning hunter left a family with his magnificent bird after good rest and said many thank to host,because they fed-up his bird also. Eagle was ready for next hunting.
After this visit, wife gave a birth to boy.And host thought,that god gave this boy,because his family fed up the eagle.from this moment,Altai Kazakhs call the eagle like "Birkut",which means fed-up in English.
- Altai Kazakh Hunters with Golden Eagle can also hunt a wolf
- REINDEERS AND TSAATAN CULTURE, 11 days, from 1800 USD, NORTHERN MONGOLIA
- ALTAI TREK, 16 days, from 2600, Western Mongolia
- NATURE AND CULTURE OF MONGOLIAN ALTAI, 9 days, from 1675 USD, Mongolia
- ALTAI JOLT TREK, 16 days, from 2530 USD, /fixed dates/
- ALTAI, HANGAI and GOBI DRIVE, 25 days, ...2600...4400... USD, Mongolia
- SELF-DRIVE BY ALTAI MOUNTAINS AND GOBI DESERT, 12 days, from 3315 USD, Russia and Mongolia
- GOBI and HANGAI DRIVE, 17 days, from ... USD, Mongolia
- MONGOLIA-ALTAI EAGLE FESTIVAL, September, 16-17, 2017 (Small Eagle Festival as Lonely Planet called)
- RUSSIAN and MONGOLIAN ALTAI TREK-2017 /fixed dates/, 27 days, from 4360 USD, Russia and Mongolia
- SPRING EAGLE FESTIVAL and SNOW LEOPARD EXPLORE-2018, 10 days, from 1740 USD, Mongolia
- STANDART TICKET , 3 days, 180 USD, Mongolia
- DELUX TICKET , 3 days, 250 USD, Mongolia
- ALTAI JOLT TREK and GOLDEN EAGLE FESTIVAL-2017 /fixed date/, 18 days, price from 2740$, MONGOLIA
- INSPIRING ALTAI MOUNTAINS, 26 days, from 2950USD, Russia-Mongolia-China-Kazakhstan
- GO to ALTAI EAGLE FESTIVAL with EAGLEHUNTERS and ALTAI EXPLORE-2017, 10 days, from 1370 USD, Mongolia
- MONGOLIA- ALTAI NOMAD'S FESTIVAL, July, 15, 2017
- MONGOLIA- ALTAI NOMAD'S FESTIVAL and MALCHIN PEAK CLIMB, 8 days, from 1165
- MONGOLIA-SPRING EAGLE FESTIVAL , March, 21-22, 2018
- MONGOLIA-ALTAI EAGLE FESTIVAL AND ALTAI EXPLORE-2017, 10 days, from 1725 USD, Mongolia
- CYCLING by TIAN SHAN MOUNTIANS, from 960$, Kazakhstan
- ALTAI KAZAKH LIFE, HIKING, HORSE RIDE and BIKING, from 1850USD,
- NATURE and CULTURE of KAZAKHSTAN MOUNTIANS, 8 days, from 970$
- MONGOLIAN KAZAKH NEW YEAR- NAURYZ, 2017, 10 DAYS, from 1265 USD, MONGOLIA
- MONGOLIAN ALTAI ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES, 12 days, from 1420USD, MONGOLIA
- ALTAI TAVAN BOGD NAT.PARK (cheap and fixed), from 275USD, Mongolia
- TSAMBAGARAV NAT.PARK (cheap and fixed), from 195 USD, Mongolia
- GOLDEN EAGLE FESTIVAL and ALTAI EXPLORE -2017, 7 days, from 945 USD, Mongolia
- ALTAI MOUNTIANS DRIVE, 19 days, from 2255 USD, Mongolia
- ALTAI TAVAN BOGD DRIVE, 13 days, 1535 USD, Mongolia
- MONGOLIA-CLASSIC EAGLEHUNTING-2017, 10 days, from 1245 USD, Mongolia
- ANCIENT HUMAN CIVILIZATION, 14 days, from ...., WESTERN CHINA
- WESTERN MONGOLIA TREK, 6days, from 660 USD, Mongolia
- KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI HORSE RIDE, 15 days, from 2590 USD, Kazakhstan
- ALTAI MOUNTAINS HORSE RIDE, 14 days, from 2225 USD, Mongolia
- TURGEN and KHARKHIRAA TREK - TWIN PEAKS, 13 days, from 1445$, Western Mongolia