Classic Eagle Hunting & Explore Alatau Mountains
Theme Best Seller, Nature, City tour
Duration 9 days
- Largest landlocked country
- Great city life
- Breathe taking nature
- Nomadic Culture
Why choose this tour
- The local people are very friendly
- It’s very easy to avoid other tourists
- Kazakhstan is a very multicultural country
- The landscape in Kazakhstan is incredible
- You can explore State National Natural Park Altyn-Emel
- The beautiful Kolsai Lakes
- Shared accommodation at Ger camps
- Private transfers
- English speaking guide
- All meals as listed
- All entrance fee
- Horse ride
- Kazakh barbecue
- Letter of Invitation
Services not included
- Personal expenses
- Optional activities
- Camera fee for museum & monastery
- Travel Insurance www.WorldNomads.com
- Single supplement
- Personal needs
- Laundry and alcoholic drinks.
- Single occupancy USD $120
|Day 1||Arrive at Almaty airport|
Meeting in the airport, transfer to the hotel, resting. A sightseeing tour round Almaty, visit the Republic Square with the monument of Independence, Central Historical Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Panfilov park with its wooden Cathedral and Museum of national musical instruments. Dinner in a traditional restaurant. (B)
|Day 2||Drive to Eagle Hunter’s family|
Arrival in Almaty. Meet by our team. Load a luggage and drive 3-4hrs towards Eagle Hunter’s family. Meet Kazakh Eagle hunter and his bird. Learn some hunting and horse riding skills. Overnight in traditional Kazakh wooden house. (BLD)
|Day 3-6||Kazakh Eagle Hunting|
Today we drive to the famous Charyn canyon. Camping at a glade, lunch. Evening hiking by the part of a canyon called “Valley of Castles” that is known for its unusual rock formations. The width of it ranges from 20 to 80 meters and the length is 2 kilometers. The Canyon has been described as the Grand Canyon’s little brother. This is not to detract from the sheer splendor of the canyon itself. The vista of dramatic erosion made by the river Charyn below and the elements has created a dramatic and impressive landscape. Overnight in tents, in Charyn. (B,L,D)
|Day 7||Explore Charyn Canyon, Lakes Kolsai and Kaindy|
Say goodbye and drive is to the Charyn Canyon, which is located in the Charyn National Park about 215km east of Almaty and approximately a 4-5 hours drive. The Canyon itself is approximately 150 km long, and, in places up to 300 meters deep. One area of particular interest, is an area of 2km called the Valley of Castles, due to the pillars and rock formations forming imposing, almost manmade structures. The story of the Canyon is that it was formed about 3 million years ago as the land around the canyon started to rise. A very large lake existed in the area around the top of the canyon and it started to empty. Over the next million years the canyon was formed by the Charyn River. Approximately 2 million years ago a large earthquake disturbed the flow of the river by blocking it with a land-slip. The visitor part of the canyon then has suffered from the elements forming the rock sculptures. The Charyn River still flows at the bottom of the canyon forming the next great canyon. Afternoon drive to south-west, and come near the high mountain lakes Kaindy and Kolsai that are situated in the beautiful gorges covered by forests of the Tian Shan fir tree. The lake Kaindy was created as the result of an enormous limestone landslide, triggered by the 1911 Kebin earthquake. The track to Lake Kaindy has many scenic views to the Saty Gorge, the Chilik Valley, and the Kaindy Gorge. Dried-out trunks of submerged Picea schrenkianatrees rise above the surface. (BLD)
|Day 8||Drive to Almat by Turgen Gorge|
Today, we drive by high mountain road and reach Assy-Turgen Observatory at Assy Plateau. The observatory is located on the Assy-Turgen plateau, 2750 meters above sea level. Assy-Turgen is the only observatory in Kazakhstan with ideal astroclimate: high transparency of the atmosphere, no light pollution and very small (average) turbulence. Assy Turgen Observatory 1-meter telescope is used for research of Herbig Ae/Be, symbiotic stars and binary systems with X-ray component. Next our stop is near Turgen waterfall. The sight of the beautiful waterfalls in the famous Turgen gorge leaves an unforgettable impression! There is a fish farm here, where they breed trout. You can catch a fish and have it fried in a local cafe. Afternoon drive to Almaty. Overnight in hotel. (BLD)
|Day 9||Depart Almaty|
Transfer to Almaty airport and depart Almaty. (B) Leave Kazakhstan with full of unforgettable memories.
- Prices: As we’ll customize your journey based on your preferences and needs, please note that this indicative price is just a rough estimate. Prices may vary depending on season, type of accommodation and activities/experiences chosen (private vs. shared) etc.
- This journey outline is by no means conclusive. It is just a guideline and can be tailored according to your comfort level, interests and preferences for every detail from accommodation to activities.
- Health: Travellers to Mongolia should ensure that they are up-to-date with routine vaccination courses and it may be advised that further vaccines are sought. Please talk to a health professional 4 – 6 weeks before travelling. It is recommended that most travellers are vaccinated for Hepatitis A and Tetanus but it is also worth discussing Hep B, Typhoid, Meningitis, Tuberculosis, Tick-borne Encephalitis and Rabies.
- Long bumpy rides: Be prepared for some epic long car rides in some old school furgons (Russian UAZ vans). As few of the vans have speakers or a method of playing music, you might like to bring along your own portable speakers and an MP3 player (but bear in mind others may like to enjoy the serenity!) It is not unheard of for people to feel a little travel sick, so if you are prone to this, remember to bring your tablets and feel free to ask your guide/driver to stop as frequently as you wish.
An English speaking Mongolian guide will accompany the group at all times. The guide will be a native Mongolian person with great local knowledge who can deal with any requests and ensure that your holiday to become one of the most unforgettable experiences of your life.
- Occupancy: Single $120
You can stay in a single, twin or double room/ger/tent (where applicable). Single occupancy may not be possible during the Naadam festival (July 5th -15th) at ger camps. At community-based camps and ger homestays, single occupancy is subject to availability. Single and twin/double occupancy at ger camps require an extra supplement.
- The best time to make this trip
May to September is the best season, with the peak season in July for the Naadam Festival. July and August are also the wettest months of the year, but be assured, our climate is such that you will still have many sunny days at this time.
We believe that comfortable, welcoming accommodation is vital to the enjoyment of your trip. You will be stay in a standard 3-4 star hotel in Ulaanbaatar and a tourist ger camp (traditional dwelling) with currency (220V), shower and other useful services (2 to 4 people per ger) in the countryside. All accommodation offered by Blue Wolf is personally checked by our staff to ensure high standards.Meals:
In Ulaanbaatar, you will be dining at fine European and Asian cuisine restaurants. Mutton, beef, rice and noodles form the basis of the Mongolian diet, so your meals will be based around this. However, the trail rations may include vegetables, eggs, peanut butter, cheese and sometimes yak! On some days there will be lunchboxes from tourist camps. It is good food and our experience has been that guests are happy with this arrangement. Please let us know in advance if you are a vegetarian. Alcohol is not provided on the trip but tourists are free to bring their own.
We use the highest level, most comfortable, air-conditioned private vans or 4WD vehicles for the maximum comfort on your touring days. A day’s drive in the countryside will be approx 200-250km.
- Personal things to bring with you:
Binoculars, sunscreen, a hat, gloves, long underwear for travel in the high mountains, comfortable footwear, lip balm, sanitary hand wipes, sunglasses, prescription medications (if needed),pills for motion sickness, rain gear, flashlight, universal plugins for charger
- Alternative connections to Olgyi: Entering or exiting across the land border with Russia, we can pick you up or leave you at Gorno-Altaisk or Barnaul, in southern Siberia (Russia).